[PLUG] Print Server

Kees Cook pdx at outflux.net
Thu May 2 21:57:59 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:27:30PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Have you checked the linux printer site for the Epson's compatability?
> Also, Easy Software (the manufacturers of CUPS) sells their own printer
> drivers that are outstanding. I bought the package so that I could get the
> maximum from my 2500C. I'm highly pleased with the results.

Yeah, the gimp-print stuff works pretty well.  The colors don't match to
real life very well, though.  So be it.  :)

>   Two things going on here: gs prior to 6.0 were terrible for pdf (at least,
> the ps2pdf tool was garbage) so be sure you have a current gs installed.
> Second, what happens when you try to print from acroread? I've not had
> results from xpdf that are as good as those from acroread. Regardless, I can
> write the file to disk from either (as a .ps file) then send it to the
> printer with the lpr command.

Yup, after finding some of the errors in the spool directory, I
double-checked my gs, and it was the most recent.

It was actually the failure of acroread to print it that helped me figure
out what was going on.  xpdf actually worked (it usually so-so, like you
said).  I couldn't get acroread's .ps export to print either.  really odd.

> > What distributions do you have CUPS running on?
>
>   RH 6.2.

Ah, cool.  I'm starting to think I just have bad luck with printers.  :)

--
Kees Cook                                            @outflux.net