[PLUG] You can't break it up??

Craighead, Scot D craighead.scot at vectorscm.com
Thu May 2 22:26:43 UTC 2002

>  I just finished speaking with my insurance agent. He hates Bill Gates,
>Microsoft and Windows with a passion. Unfortunately, all the insurance
>software runs only on Windows. At the office he's running w2k and it's been
>stable for him. At home, they run XP and I would not quote him here, for
>children might be reading this list. XP apparently crashes regularly, wipes
>out files and creates great anger and misery in the family.

I recently had an interesting experience with XP.  A club that is part of a
national organization asked me to help them get their accounting system
working.  The accounting package would not work with XP.  The company that
make it said it would be about a year before they would have a version that
would.  They had to use this software package because the national
organization requires it.  They had baught a new PC and it had XP.  They had
a new copy of ME.  Me would not install because it did not know what to make
of XP.  I tried to format the drive and there was just a small partition
that was the C drive.  It would not format the other partitions.  I tried to
use fdisk to remove the other partitions and it refused to do it.  Finally,
I want home and made a Linux boot disk.  I used the Linux version of fdisk
to remove the partitions and made a new partition that I could then format
and install ME on.  It seemed like they had made it as hard as possible to
get XP off of that PC.