[PLUG] samba mount problem

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Fri May 3 17:37:32 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 16:41, Rob Hudson wrote:
> I just had to figure out how to mount a samba share here at work.  The
> things I ran into were:
>
> I couldn't run smbmount as my user, so I had to do it as root.

I just set up a server yesterday, with samba configured to share home
directories.  As user derek, I was able to

smbmount //server/derek /home/derek/mnt -o username=derek

I am also able to mount shares from a Win2k server as derek.  Of course
this user has administrator privileges on the M$ server.

The problems I ran into where mostly related to who owns which
directories, you can't mount to something you don't own (I have a nasty
habit of creating directories as root, even in a users directory).

At this point in time, I have 3 different smbmounts (to 3 different
machines), all mounted by the user derek.

> I didn't want to login into the other server as root so I had to add
> this flag: -o username=rob
> Then, it shows up in 'df' and in 'mount'.  But I couldn't write to the
> share b/c it was owned by root, so I added 'uid=rob'.
>
> My final command was this:
> smbmount //homer/projects /mnt/samba/homer -o username=rob,uid=rob
>
> Maybe that's the reason for your permission errors?
>
> BTW, I don't think you need smbd and nmbd running to connect to
> another machine via smb, just when other machines are connecting to
> you.  (Correct me if I'm wrong)
>
> -Rob
>
> > On 20020502.1636, Dean S. Messing said ...
> >

> > I've just set up samba (by the seat of my pants) on my Linux machine
> > (stock Mandrake 8.2) and I'm noticing some strange behaviour.
> >
> > As with nearly everything having to do with Linux networking, I'm a
> > novice, so go easy please.
> > Explanations are welcome, however.  I love to learn.
> >
> > The Story
> >
> > After mucking around in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file I seem to have gotten
> > samba to mount remote "shares" from Windows machines w/in our lab
> > (which is all I care about; I don't want to share anything off the Linux
> > box just now).
> >
> > Then I tried mounting a "share" on a colleague's w2k machine which I
> > don't apparently have permission to get into.
> >
> > I did:
> >
> >    smbmount //<machine name>/user ~/mnt
> >
> > (where I have a dir called `mnt' in my home directory).
> >
> > It mounted just fine (after I entered my M$ Domain password) and
> > I can see it mounted in the output of `mount'.
> >
> > But when I try to
> >
> >    smbumount ~/mnt
> >
> > I get
> >
> >    Could not open /home/deanm/mnt:  Permission denied.

Did this happen for the root user?  Did you have something open, or cd'd
into mnt (though this should have been a resource busy error)?

> > I also get
> >
> >    ls:  mnt: Permission denied
> >
> > which I do `ls -l'  (but not when I do `ls').
> >
> > So what's the matter and how can I unmount the thing---short of re-booting?
> >
> > I've also tried stopping the smb and nmb daemons, restarting them,
> > killing the `smbmount' command that was showing up in `ps ax'.
> > Nothing seems to work.

kill -9 #pid# should take just about anything down.

Let me know if you want to see the smb.conf file for the box I set up
yesterday.

Derek Loree