[PLUG] Report: Gentoo Linux

Michael H.Collins mike at linuxlink.com
Fri May 3 21:37:09 UTC 2002

I tried Gentoo a few months back and I couldn't get an install.  Went to
Sorcerer Gnu Linux and it worked well outa the box so to speak.  Then
that project fell apart.  I went to both of its branches and then just
got tired of the disorganisation there.  Still have SGL on one box.
Went back to Gentoo and havn't looked back.  It is on my main server
doing ltsp and internal services.  Just recently put it on my laptop.
It just works.  This 266 laptop is a bit slow to compile, but once
compiled it is a rocket. ;-)

These distros really teach one about the OS though.  From the ground up.
 I now have a really good handle on pcmcia and wireless cards.   If you
really want to learn Linux, I think these source distros are the way to
go.

And like you said, everything works flawlessly.  I never knew full
screen multimedia could be so seamless on a 600 mgz processor..

Have fun.

On 03 May 2002 12:31:16 -0700
Phil Tomson <ptkwt at aracnet.com> spewed into the bitstream:

~I installed Gentoo over the last few days and I thought I'd give a
~small review.
~
~First of all, check out the gentoo site: http://gentoo.org it's a very
~nicely done.  Well organized.  Docs are clearly written.
~

--

       .--.
      |o_o |     Michael H. Collins