[PLUG] Aterm Ignores /etc/profile

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Fri May 3 22:37:24 UTC 2002

> All;
>
> I use aterm in Window maker for my terminals. I like to use
> the Vi sequences when I am editing on the command line.
>
> This works when I am in a virtual terminal thanks to a line
> in /etc/profile as follows:
>
>   set -o vi
>
> When I use 'aterm,' though, it's like the terminal completely
> spaces off /etc/profile.
>
> The 'set -o vi' line in /etc/profile is totaly independent of
> any if statements, eg:
>
>   if [[ $TERM = aterm ]]
>    blow_off_profile_settings();
>   fi

Cooper,

The /etc/profile only gets read on login shells. You'll be hard pressed to
get it to run from X spawns. Actually, it's a common problem. You'll need to
place it in your $ENV file for it to fire each time the shell is forked. And
it doesn't work in .profile or .bash_profile either because like
/etc/profile, those only get parsed once per login.

Thus:

/home/longman
miswelux01> echo $ENV
/home/longman/.functions