[PLUG] Hard drive benchmarking for Linux?

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Sun May 5 00:02:41 UTC 2002

So a friend told me to add the following bit to my grub.conf file to
"enable" ATA66 or ATA100 speeds on my ATA100 drives:

ide0=ata66

Apparently "ata66" is sufficient to get even ata100 speeds, as I
understand this parameter.

1)  Is passing this arg to the kernel truly necessary for the drive to
operate at ATA100 speeds?

2)  Can anyone recommend a good disk throughput benchmarking utility so
that I can test with & without?  I am probably imagining it, but it
actually seems slower when I use the parameter than without.

To further complicate things, I have a Highpoint 370 ATA100 RAID
controller onboard (had to specially compile that support into my
kernel).  Any special considerations regarding #1 above?

Thanks!