[PLUG] DSL Elementary Questions.

Michael Smith codeyeti at yahoo.com
Mon May 6 17:13:22 UTC 2002

Ok, there are 2 types of DSL: ppp over ethernet (PPPOE) and bridging.

In bridging, you have a "real" IP address and you just connect via your cisco
router.  Basically, the telephone line handles the physical layer of your
connection.  No problem since this is looking exactly like a normal LAN.  You
can disconnect your box, put a firewall in between your internal LAN and the
world, tell the firewall that it's got your IP address and gateway, and then
turn on NAT for the internal LAN.

With PPPOE, there is a ppp connection made via the ethernet link.  That way,
the ISP can make you verify your username and password.  That's why they like
it... from their point of view, it's easier to manage.  Unfortunately, most
ISP's use this.  There is software for PPPOE on linux, but I've never played
with it.  The physical setup is the same as for bridging mode, but you still
have to negotiate the ppp link, and that's where the problem is.

The easiest/best way is to just pick an ISP that lets you do bridging.  Failing
that, it's off to a web search for "PPPOE DSL linux".

--Mike