[PLUG] DSL Elementary Questions.

Michael H.Collins mike at linuxlink.com
Tue May 7 00:40:40 UTC 2002

If it is pppoe, i would recommend Coyote linux firewall.  It is a single
floppy with pppoe and a web based config after install to open ports in
the firewall.  Close em too i guess.

http://www.coyotelinux.com/products.php

i have been using it since i got pppoe/dsl.

On Mon, 06 May 2002 10:13:22 -0700
Michael Smith <codeyeti at yahoo.com> spewed into the bitstream:

~Ok, there are 2 types of DSL: ppp over ethernet (PPPOE) and bridging.
~
~In bridging, you have a "real" IP address and you just connect via your
~cisco router.  Basically, the telephone line handles the physical layer
~of your connection.  No problem since this is looking exactly like a
~normal LAN.  You can disconnect your box, put a firewall in between
~your internal LAN and the world, tell the firewall that it's got your
~IP address and gateway, and then turn on NAT for the internal LAN.
~
~With PPPOE, there is a ppp connection made via the ethernet link.  That
~way, the ISP can make you verify your username and password.  That's
~why they like it... from their point of view, it's easier to manage.
~Unfortunately, most ISP's use this.  There is software for PPPOE on
~linux, but I've never played with it.  The physical setup is the same
~as for bridging mode, but you still have to negotiate the ppp link, and
~that's where the problem is.
~The easiest/best way is to just pick an ISP that lets you do bridging.
~Failing that, it's off to a web search for "PPPOE DSL linux".
~
~--Mike
~
~Bill Spears wrote:
~
~> So I've got DSL from Qwest running on a Windows machine and I'd like
~to> switch, slowly and carefully, to floppyfw.
~>
~> The way I understand it, DSL is like a lan and the modem provides a
~telco> connection on one side an a lan connection on the other.
~>
~> What would happen if I took out the windows cable and put in one from
~a> linux machine?  On a lan it would eventually adapt to the new MAC.
~What> happens in the DSL context?
~>
~> What if I have a dual boot and I start the DSL connection under
~Windows, and> reboot to floppyfw.  Would that work?
~>
~> _______________________________________________
~> PLUG mailing list
~> PLUG at lists.pdxlinux.org
~
~--
~"Ask a Soviet engineer to design a pair of shoes and he'll come up with
~something that looks like the boxes that the shoes came in; ask him to
~make something that will massacre Germans, and he turns into Thomas
~*Fscking* Edison."  --Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
~
~
~
~