[PLUG] Simple network problem

Dave dave at pakled.mmcc.cx
Wed May 8 18:34:21 UTC 2002

I had a similar problem during debian install process.  The NIC would come up,
drivers will load, I could assign IPs manually, but -any- traffic passing over
the NIC was summarily ignored (tcpdump confirmed this).

I solved it by using an install image (and kernel image) that had the driver
compiled directly in.  And it was a 3com NIC, too.  The netgear worked fine, I
might add.

Quoting "McCann, Joe" <McCannJ at tri-met.org>:

> The network cable has been swapped with the computer next to it and both
> function perfectly.
> The NIC link light goes ON when I plug the network cable in. The hub link
> also lights.
>
> eg. assign IP address to NIC, eth0 up, ping 127.0.0.1 OK,
> ping default GW by number, Negative results
> ping any other number results in a negative ping response.
>
> Any PCMCIA NIC works fine.

-Dave