[PLUG] Printing envelopes from StarOffice

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 9 01:58:48 UTC 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Carla Schroder wrote:

> Au contraire, mine intrepid Linux explorer. File -> Page Setup -> Paper Size.
> Nice WYSIWYG envelope that lets you type any darn where you please on it,
> even insert a picture. Much more flexible than Brand X. I like Abiword a
> whole heck of a lot, it is my main word processor. It handles Word docs quite
> well. With AbiWord and Gnumeric, I have achieved happiness.

  Oh. Thanks, Carla. I've been busy this afternoon building and installing
the two programs. I greatly appreciate the pointer. Will it take the address
from a letter that's open?

  Anyway, that's good to know. OpenOffice takes forever (like So and, I
presume, winWord) to open. And the source code is 69M! Whew! I'd rather work
with AbiWord as it appears that after 18 years of use, WordPerfect has
reached the end of its useful life. One last question about AbiWord for you:
can I select single- or double-sided printing from within the application?
Let me explain.

  My CUPS system is set for double-sided printing. But, within WordPerfect,
letters, invoices and so on are to be printed single-sided. WP would default
to single-sided printing, but I could set it for duplex on a
document-specific level. How does abiword do with this?

  I'm delighted with XessSE as a spreadsheet and I've found that Magicpoint
does all *I* need to do for presentations.

Many thanks,