[PLUG] Kill My Modem Connection 'Politely'

guy1656 guy1656 at ados.com
Thu May 9 13:06:31 UTC 2002

OK, this ought to be a simple chron-type question:

I am about to leave my office to head off to a customer site job (like 10
min. from now.) I decide to check e-mail one more time before I leave.
KDE says somebody has sent me about 5956 kB of data, probably 1 or 2 e-mail
messages with MONGO MS-Office attachments.*

OK, so I live out in rural Columbia County, and connect at 28.8 on a GREAT
day, 26.4 most o' the time, and sometimes about half that. This usually means
6 to 8 minutes of download time per MB.

Rather than leave now and have the modem idly connected for hours, is there a
chron thingie I can type in that says "(Nicely) disconnect me from my ISP 55
mintues from now?"

I am running Mandrake 8.2

GLL

* We can rag later about PHB's who create 1MB files in Powerpoint that are
stuffed with tropical graphics, whose content is equivalent to the text
string 'There will be a team meeting in the conference room at 10AM.'