[PLUG] GNU question

Dhruva B. Reddy sledgehammer2010 at yahoo.com
Thu May 9 15:01:30 UTC 2002

I disagree.  The license (whether GPL or otherwise)
applies only to the code that you write.  Even though
you used the work of others to write and test it.  The
original poster's scenario is really no different from
running emacs (GPL'd software) on Windoze (a
proprietary platform).

Look at JBoss, or any of the Apache Java
projects--they all run on a proprietary runtime
environment (the Java Development Kit (JDK) or Java
Runtime Environment (JRE)).

The only time a problem would arise is if M$ decides
to modify their EULA to specifically prohibit the use
of their tools for creating software that is licensed
in a certain way (they have already started doing
similar things).  If they do decide to do this, simply
use a tool that was released before M$ took the GPL
seriously.  Also, this raises some interesting legal
questions (such as, "Can a vendor tell you how you
what you can and can't do with your work, just because
you used their tools?")

Dhruva