[PLUG] Type1 fonts for X and applications

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu May 9 17:49:17 UTC 2002

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I know we have some X Window System gurus here. As I read how to install
> Type1 fonts within AbiWord, I discover that I have Type1 fonts in three
> different directories here:
>
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ISO8859-2/Type1
> 	/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1
>
>   The first one is the one listed as one of the fontpaths in
> /etc/X11/XF86config.
>
>   My questions, guru(s) are these:
>
> 	1) Why might there be three different directories used?

The first is there because that's where the X install puts them.

The other two are there because the folks building packages for your
package management system had different ideas about where they belong.

> 	2) Is it practical to combine all the Type1 fonts in the first
> 	directory only and eliminate the others? It seem rather wasteful to
> 	me to have the same fonts -- or different ones for that matter --
> 	splayed out in different places.

Personally, I'd symlink 'em.  No reason to modify paths that might be
hardcoded somewhere.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin