[PLUG] GNU question

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu May 9 20:59:07 UTC 2002

Also Sprach Shannon C. Dealy <dealy at deatech.com> on Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:46:18AM PDT
> On Thu, 9 May 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 9 May 2002, Kyle Accardi wrote:
> >
> > > (c)   Open Source.  Recipient's license rights to the Software are
> > > conditioned upon Recipient (i) not distributing such Software, in whole or
> > > in part, in conjunction with Potentially Viral Software (as defined below);
> >                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >   I guess that I'm really confused. Aren't all the virii running around the
> > 'Net and within sites exclusively affecting Microsoft OSes and applications?
> [snip]
>
> Microsoft started using this terminology awhile back, presumably because
> of the negative conotations of "virus".  Their stated meaning when using
> this type of reference is that the "license" of your software has been
> "infected" by the use of any GPL like software in your code, because of
> course once you use GPL'd stuff in your code, you can't use a more
> restrictive license for the software until you remove the GPL stuff.
> When all else fails, confuse the heck out of people!

I think we should all start modifying our licenses to define
"Analicious and Coprophagous" software to mean "proprietary" or
"non-free" or, ahem, "closed-source" software.  If you can just
make up terms and define them in legal documents for marketing
purposes, we should do it too, just for fun.  Oh, and we should
define "Ooogly Ooogly Orgasmic" software to mean free software.
Doesn't that sound fun?

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
        * Ooogly Ooogly Orgasmic Software Consulting *
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs