[PLUG] (no subject)

dh at mda.huntbros.net dh at mda.huntbros.net
Fri May 10 13:51:45 UTC 2002

I'm considering purchasing an Apple iBook M8577LL/C running OS X and am
curious if anyone has experience with Apple's OS X cohabiting with Linux.
I've been exclusively a Slackware user for several years now, and will
install Slackware or other Linux as an alternate OS. Since OS X is billed
as being BSD based, does this mean I'm likely to have a reasonably
trouble-free install of Linux on the same hardware? Would another distro
of Linux be more at home? (Please, no distro-wars.) Can the two systems be
integrated to any useful degree? Does anyone know if the builtin modem
will work in the UK and Ireland? The modem is described as "analog", 56K
v.90, and I presume "analog" means it's not a winmodem. True?

Any discussion, caveats, and/or pointers would be helpful, on or off list,
as you see fit. I've never actually done an install before. My brother's
done all the work previously, so I have a bit of angst related to just
succesfully installing Linux, but then my brother says I need to learn,
and learn to love, installing Linux.

--
David Hunt <dh at mda.huntbros.net>