[PLUG] (no subject)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri May 10 20:26:17 UTC 2002

That's like calling ethernet analog because it operates over copper. The
equipment at either end (the DSL transceiver and DSLAM) are sending digital
signals to each other. They share the wire that analog signals traverse,
but they ignore those signals as out of band noise.

I'm not as familiar with cable as DSL, but I was under the impression that
it operates in much the same way, which is why you needed to be upgraded to
the new (digital) head end at the cable company to be able to get either
digital cable, cable phone, or cable modem.

At 12:49 PM 5/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>That's not true. DSL and ISDN operate over analog telephone circuits.
>Remove the little filter(s) that come with your DSL modem and you'll
>probably be able to hear the carrier. Cable modems use an RF carrier,
>still analog. Theory of operation and carrier frequencies are
>definitely different from your standard modem, but they're still
>analog.

Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it
every six months.
                 -- Oscar Wilde