[PLUG] (no subject)

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Fri May 10 21:24:43 UTC 2002

> That's like calling ethernet analog because it operates over copper. The
> equipment at either end (the DSL transceiver and DSLAM) are sending digital
> signals to each other. They share the wire that analog signals traverse,
> but they ignore those signals as out of band noise.

The purpose of the DSLAM is to aggregate the DSL circuits and transfer
the digital content to a frame-relay setup inside the phone company.
The data is then delivered to the ISP over standard T-1 or better.
Standard voice circuits use bandpass filters to eliminate anything
over 2Khz. DSL takes advantage of that by using carriers at higher
frequencies.

You can run your own DSL circuit without a DSLAM by getting a dry
pair (like an alarm circuit) between two locations and putting a
DSL modem at each end. Bob Cringley described such a setup in one
of his columns. <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010823.html>

Regular modems are sending digital data to each other, too. It's just
modulated on top of an audio carrier. In fact, that's what "mo-dem"
is from - modulator/demodulator.

I'm not familiar enough with ethernet to say for certain, but I thought
ethernet line drivers directly drove the wires with the digital signal,
rather than encoding it onto a carrier.

john-