[PLUG] Hardware problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 11 02:52:11 UTC 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Richard Steffens wrote:

> Some of those times, my computer does a hard reset. Would grounding the
> tables and the computer case help, be a good idea, or a bad idea?

Dick,

  Back in the early- to mid-1980s a lot of keyboards and systems were fried
by static electricity. During that period I bought a grounding mat that sits
under the keyboard, and I always touched that before touching any part of a
computer. Now that mat is in front of the monitor, but the keyboard is on a
pull-out support in front of the desk. I still touch either that mat or the
metal file cabinet next to the desk whenever I return to the desk and before
I touch the keyboard, trackball or anything else. After 20 years it's just
reflex.

  To directly answer your question: yes. Ground everything. And make it a
practice to touch a grounded metal table leg when you sit down. Also, buy
some Downy fabric softener, dilute it 1:4 or 1:5 with water, then spray it
on the carpet. Prevents static buildup. We used to do this in the office
until the early 1990s.

  Steelcase chairs are worth every dollar! I have one from 1985 and another
that I bought in 1995. I can sit in them for 12 or more hours a day without
pain or tiredness. They're great!