[PLUG] Plug For Education Meeting - Saturday 5/18

Paul Nelson pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Sat May 11 05:23:35 UTC 2002

Hello Folks,

It seems like a long time ago now that the first Plug for Education
meetings happened. I think we've done a lot since then. Plug members
have been an active part of the monthly GNU/Linux Install Clinics and
have played an active role on the K12Linux listservs answering questions
and helping to promote free software in schools.

If you've been following recent Slashdot posts for the last month or so
you'll know that PNW schools are being audited by Microsoft and that
many are now very interested in using open source software. Now more
than ever we have a chance to help schools provide reliable technologies
for classrooms at a reasonable cost.

I'd like to float an idea out to the list and suggest that we discuss it
on-line and meet for a session or two as well.

Here's the idea: July 4th - Software Freedom Day - All over the USA

I'd like to see us help LUGs in cities all over the country establish
supportive relationships with schools like the one our schools enjoy.
I'd like to celebrate the collaboration with an open house type of event
on the morning of July 4th. The basic idea is to get LUGs to plan an
event with the help of interested school/s to demonstrate the successes
of using GPL software in schools.

Outcomes would be improved relationships between LUGs and schools where
they don't exist right now, good PR for both groups and an increased
support base both locally and on-line for schools migrating towards open
source software.

The event would be for a couple of hours on the morning of July 4th and
be over in time for people to still enjoy other traditional activities.

Frankly, I think PLUG has its act together more than most LUGs and we'd
be good ones to pull this off. We'd need to do up the PR and provide
"event kits" that other LUGs and schools could download and use. I think
we can do it. What do you think?

Let's toss out some limited discussion on the list and then I'd suggest
meeting for a brown bag lunch at the next Linux Clinic which is next
weekend on the 18th. I am sensitive to the list traffic this might
generate so feel free to email me directly or bring your ideas to the
12:00 meeting on Sat. May 18.
Clinic Info: www.riverdale.k12.or.us/~danh
Directions: www.riverdale.k12.or.us/direct.html

;-) Paul
Paul Nelson................... pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale School, 11733 SW Breyman Ave, Portland, OR 97219
school (503)636-4511.....................fax (503)635-6342
Riverdale Web Page......... http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us