[PLUG] Dialup Server on network with Linksys DSL/Cablemodem router / options.ttySx file

Greg Long linux at maneuveringspeed.com
Sat May 11 15:29:13 UTC 2002

I think you're describing the basic function of these routers.  I think
about ALL they do is NAT.  We have one IP adddress, and all the boxes
connected to the router have their own 192.168.1.xxx address.  I can
route up to 10 specific incoming ports to different boxes. There is also
a DMZ host option which will send all incoming ports (unless otherwise
routed) to a single box.

So....I think this will work.  I *THINK* I set everythig up OK last
night, grabbed the cel phone, gave myself a jingle, and the USR hardware
PCI modem on ttys4 picked up and started squealing. Most of my local
friends are OIT college students, and are pretty busy on Friday nights,
so I could not recruit anyone who had a modem (most are on a LAN
connection) to test it for me.  8am on  saturday is still too early to
wake anyone up.    I'll head out in awhile to a friend's with my laptop
and try it then.

---------
One thing I am unclear on is the options.ttyS4 file (S4 in my case).
Section 1.8 of the walkthrough I mentioned in my original message
suggests:

	To set a specific IP for a client and server for each tty,
update the /etc/ppp/options.ttyname file for each tty:

   		 serverIP:clientIP

I set mine up to be:

192.168.1.102:192.168.1.140

Note that I assigned the .140 for the dialup client.

Does this sound OK?

Greg