[PLUG] BOTS & Hidden Directories

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Sat May 11 19:14:32 UTC 2002

sendai wrote:

> Well from your subject line I assume you are asking if a bot would know that
> the page existed.  The answer is that no spider would, but if someone was
> running a bot that picked a page and then tried every possible sequence then
> yeah it would.

That's what I thought.

> As for general security, this is going to decrease your overall security and
> should technically be served by a DMZ box...

Good idea

> What I used to do if I wanted a web location to access my files from is use
> a 64-bit key for the url.

Another good idea.

> Yes, the accesses will be unique to the visitor.  To make them come from
> pacifier you would have to get them to set up forwarding.

Okay, I won't worry about that then.  I did notice that everyone's
public_html/ is world readable, so anyone with a shell account can snoop
around.  Doesn't Apache allow for somewhat tighter permissions?  The
default creation group is `user`.  `apache` is also a member of this group.
  Hmm

Cheers,
Kyle Accardi
who is really working outside