[PLUG] Mirroring and backup - recommendations?

Greg Long klugger at maneuveringspeed.com
Mon May 13 04:47:21 UTC 2002

After a recent scare with having to run e2fsck manually on our server
after a unclean unmount, I started thinking more seriously about
mirroring and automatic scheduled backups, and other such redundancy.

Our server runs a fairly stock Redhat 7.2 on a 1ghz AMD Duron 256mb
system with a 60gb IDE HD available. At my disposal is a Intel Pentium
233 system with 128mb RAM and a 10gb UDE HD.  the 10gb drive should be
plenty to essentially mirror the main system, with the exception of a
sizable chunk of  files that have been made available for FTP transfer
that would not have to be mirrored as they are easily replaceable.

I realize that not ALL files should be mirrored as the hardware is
different (although both can run i386 Redhat)

SO....my basic question is, what utilites are available and recommended
for this sort of mirroring?

Although I do not have a tape backup, it would be nice to periodically
take a snapshot of the system (except for the sizable file transfer
library) and split that into 700mb chunks for manually burning to CD

Thanks,

Greg Long