[PLUG] killing "D" state processes?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue May 14 23:19:20 UTC 2002

>>>>> "Shannon" == Shannon C Dealy <dealy at deatech.com> writes:

Shannon> On 14 May 2002, Russell Senior wrote:

Russell> I've been having a little trouble with a backup process.
Russell> This morning an 'mt' hung on me in a "D N" state, which
Russell> according to "man ps" decodes as Wing Attack Plan R, R for
Russell> Robert ... Oops!  No, sorry.  Those weren't today's codes.
Russell> It decodes as D = "uninterruptible sleep (usually IO)" and N
Russell> = "low-priority task".  A "kill -9 <pid>" doesn't work.  The
Russell> tape wasn't moving, I ejected the tape and reinserted it, but
Russell> mt is still stuck.  Do I have to reboot the sucker?  Or is
Russell> there some incantation like: "Peace on Earth" or "Purity of
Russell> Essense" to fix it?

Shannon> I used to get these years ago during tape backups (including
Shannon> the failure of the kill -9), it turned out to be a kernel
Shannon> bug/race condition that would happen on rare occasions, [...]

Shannon> What kernel version are you running?

"uname" says 2.4.16.  Oddly, about 5 minutes after I sent the message,
the process went away and I could at least "mt status" the drive.
But, when I tried to rewind, it hung again.  I am getting messages in
the logs that indicate some kind of failure (either communication or
hardware, not sure yet).  They look like:

   May 14 14:57:41 coulee kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 13945266, scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0 Rezero Unit 00 00 00 00 00
   May 14 14:57:41 coulee kernel: scsi0: Aborting CCB #7064897 to Target 5
   May 14 14:57:41 coulee kernel: scsi0: CCB #7064897 to Target 5 Aborted
   May 14 14:57:41 coulee kernel: st0: Error 26030000 (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x6, host bt 0x3).

I am thinking a nice gentle reboot at this point might clear it up.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible