[PLUG] Linux Clinic this Saturday

Paul Nelson pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Wed May 15 00:31:57 UTC 2002

Hello Folks,

I'm sending out our usual announcement for our monthly Linux Clinic. I'm
also posting to a wider audience in hopes of sharing a bit of how our
local user group has helped us.

Our school plays host to the clinic every month on the 3rd. Saturday. We
invite Linux experts from the PLUG (Portland Linux/Unix User Group) to
come and help with software installs and configurations for local
schools, teachers, kids and the public at large.
http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/~danh

We meet from 1:00 to 4:00 and there are always plenty of folks who come.
Everyone helps everyone. We often have goodies to pass out and after a
new Linux release it's not uncommon to have several CD-Rom burners going
full speed all afternoon.

We have our own workstations that boot into Linux from our terminal
server for people to play with and folks bring in their own hardware to
configure.

Let me think about this for just a minute, do I want Linux experts to
come to my school every month to help me use free, stable software to
provide cool technologies for my students? They won't charge me anything
and they enjoy providing support for our schools through our local
listserv on a 24x7 basis...  Duh... It doesn't take much to realize how
well this works! It's fun for the experts too though!

For those of you in the Portland area, come and join us. If you've never
used Linux before or just want to see what the fuss is all about, you
are welcome here.

If you're a school and you want to take your first steps this would be a
good time to come by. This Saturday we have a special going... We'll
configure your hardware to be an Appleshare server and toss in a web
server for free! ;-^)

My hope is that other LUGs out there would start hosting clinics. If you
are from a school, contact your local user group and offer to host a
clinic!

Linux Journal has a great LUG locater at:
http://www.ssc.com:8080/glue/groups along with all kinds of other good
LUG stuff.

Red Hat hosts another site with lots of links too!
http://www.redhat.com/apps/community/LUG/

If you are hosting clinics with your LUGs please let us know or post
your info on the K12OS.org site.

Lastly, I want to extend a big thank you to all the Linux users who have
helped us so much over the years. Your work and generosity really has
huge impact in our classrooms. I think we're just now starting to see
that in big ways. Helping a local school may seem like a small thing to
do but it sure makes a big difference.

Thanks!

;-) Paul

REMINDER!!! If you want to discuss the July 4th, Software Freedom Day,
come at 12:00 with your lunch.

Paul Nelson............................... pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale School..............11733 SW Breyman Ave. Portland, OR 97219
(503)636-4511......fax(503)635-6342.... http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us