[PLUG] Page margins

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed May 15 04:57:34 UTC 2002

>>>>> "David" == David Bridges <dbridges at austin.rr.com> writes:

>>  $lpr textfile

David> YMMV, but I have found that something like this works great for
David> text files.

David> cat textfile | enscript | lpr

This sort of thing can drive an old unix CLI freak crazy.  The "cat"
in this instance is unnecessary.  Why not just:

   enscript < textfile | lpr

or better still, learn the "usage" of enscript ("enscript --help" or
"man enscript") and use that to your advantage:

   enscript textfile

Because I don't like to waste paper, I always generate in intermediate
file and inspect it first with "gv".  But since I don't mind wasting
paper if it looks cool, I use fancy headers:

   enscript --fancy-header=emacs -o /tmp/test.ps textfile
   gv /tmp/test.ps
   lpr /tmp/test.ps

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr at aracnet.com      Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible