[PLUG] Page margins

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed May 15 05:08:58 UTC 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Robert Kopp wrote:
> This may be an easy question. When I want unformatted output of a text
> file
>
> $lpr textfile
>
> the left margin is so narrow that about 2mm of the text is cut off to
> the left. By the way, the printing from my Linux box goes to a remote
> Samba printer. Is there an easy way to adjust this?

Depending on what kind printer you have and what print spooling package
you use, it's possible that lpr is calling an input filter and doing some
formatting for the printer before the printer sees the thing.  I'd
recommend tracking down this info in your printer package and determining
where the page definition information is stored.

Folks here often recommend enscript and it's really nice, but out of habit
I still often use a2ps for printing plain text.  The page layout info for
that package is contained in /etc/a2ps.cfg or /etc/a2ps-site.cfg.

By the way, can someone tell me how to make enscript print 4-up like this:

_______________________________________
|                  |                  |
|  text-y text     |  text text       |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|-------------------------------------|
|                  |                  |
|  text-y text     |  text text       |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |
|                  |                  |

with the old a2ps border style?

When I try 4-up with enscript I get four pages equally divided across a
landscaped page.  Ugh.

Thanks.
J.
--