[PLUG] APM resume & mouse problem

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed May 15 06:03:42 UTC 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002 briand at aracnet.com wrote:

> When you are in X and suspend the machine all goes well.  When you
> resume the mouse takes on a Mr. Hyde personality and does not do
> anything sane.  It jumps all over the place and creates random button
> presses.  Works flawlessly until you resume.
>
> If you ctrl-alt-backspace X and then start again, everything is fine.
>
> gpm is not even installed (can't believe how long gpm/X interaction
> has remained broken in Debian) so I know that's not the problem.
>
> I don't have a clue as to what's going on and a lot of searching on
> google-groups didn't turn up anything useful - other than have apm
> kill X and then restart it - which is not a solution.

I don't have a "why" for you, but one possible work around.  I do alot of
things that screw up the mouse drivers in X, and I have found that
switching to a different virtual console using <ctl-alt-F1> and then back
again often clears up the problem without having to kill the X session.
As far as gpm and X under Debian, I haven't noticed any problems for a
couple years, though I don't really use the mouse on the console, gpm
just sits there idling.