[PLUG] Printing Problem

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed May 15 21:02:04 UTC 2002

> I am having a print spooler problem. I just took down our NT server and
> replaced it with a Red Hat 7.1 Server. We have a HP Laser Jet 4100N printer.
> I set the printer up using Webmin and there are no Red Hat drivers for the
> 4100N so I used the drivers for the 4000. I set the print destination to
> |/usr/share/printconf/jetdirectprint
> In the printcap file, the printer is set up as:
> hp4100:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4100:sh;mx#0:ml#0:lp=|/usr/share/printconf/jetdir
> ectprint:if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:
>
> When text documents are sent to the printer, they print off write away. When
> any FrameMaker graphic documents are sent to the printer, one page is
> printed and then it waits about 1 minute and then prints another page. The
> graphics employee said that when we used NT the pages printed one right
> after the other.
>
> They also have a hp4000 printer. I had her print to that printer and the job
> took 3 minutes to print, whereas when she printed to the hp4100, it took 14
> minutes.

This is just a guess, but here goes.  Perhaps FrameMaker is generating
postscript output, and your redhat box is running ghostscript to convert
it to hp pcl, then sending it to the printer.  That sort of configuration
could definitely slow things down.  I would try ensure that no rendering
is being done by the server, though I can't tell you specifically how to
do this.  Perhaps someone else can jump in with some assistance.

galen