[PLUG] lost+found

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Wed May 15 21:59:33 UTC 2002

"D. Cooper Stevenson" wrote:

> This directory is created anytime you create a new filesystem on a drive
> with 'mkfs.' This was one of the commands your script executed to create
> the new filesystem.

I figured it was something like that.

> The ext2fs filesystem creates this directory automatically. Linux
> (specifically fsck) uses this directory to place fragments of files that
> it cannot correctly place back into the filesystem. A hard system crash
> can cause this to happen. Sometimes (though not usually), the filesystem
> "looses" the file's logical placement on the disk.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I ought to keep lost+found around. I
came up with a work around for my purposes. I installed the drive (60gb)
for storing mp3 files. The plan is to have the music organized by
directory, Classical, Jazz, Popular, etc. I've worked up a php script to
display directories in one column of a table, and files in another. For
the juke box application, the lost+found directory has no meaning, so I
just test for it and don't display it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens