[PLUG] RPMs and compiling with specific options

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 15 21:04:53 UTC 2002

On 15 May 2002, Jon Jacob wrote:

> Is there a standard way to use an rpm but send it the options I would
> want it to compile the binary with.

  Yes.

> I like being able to query the rpm database to see what is installed and
> the ease of uninstalling which is why I like RPM, but I need to install
> something now that I want to compile using non-standard options.  (To be
> specific, it is aspell).  Is there a way to do that?

  Get the .src.rpm and install it ('rpm -ivh <package>.src.rpm'). cd to
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ and run 'rpm -ba --<options_here> <package>.spec'.
Rather than just rebuilding the package, the "build all" option works from
the spec file and will accept the same options as could be fed to
./configure.

HTH,