[PLUG] Emacs

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Wed May 15 22:58:18 UTC 2002

I've never built emacs on Linux--only on HP-UX and Solaris.  It's just
too easy (on Debian) to type in "apt-get install emacs21".  It's pretty
straightforward, IIRC, but using your system's package manager is likely to
make it less painful.

Legal:  Gotta love the GPL!  For most purposes, you can just start using
emacs, so you don't have to worry about running afoul of the license.

Social:  I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this term :-).  But seriously,
most people cannot tell that I use emacs (although this will change as I
subject more people to HTML files (written manually with emacs'
excellent HTML mode) and PDF (generated from my latex files)).

Political:  I have found that many developers prefer working with IDEs.
Unfortunately, these tools impose their own proprietary organizational
stuff which make it potentially messy (and sometimes impossible) to work
outside that tool.  I have not found a compelling argument against "Well,
(xxx IDE) has a built-in debugger".  Also, I have yet to meet a manager
who was impressed that I know emacs.

As for actually learning how to use emacs, I started out with a hard
copy of the FSF's manual, and now I go googling or ask my emacs-using
friends whenever I have a question.

Generally, I have been using emacs for 3.5 years (since 19.x), and have
grown to love it.  I use it for writing documents (when I can get away
with it) and writing code.  I don't wish to start a religious war, but I
would say that very few applications are as powerful and extensible as
this one.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some Tetris to play on emacs v21...

Dhruva

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 03:33:51PM -0700, quoth Jeme A Brelin: