[PLUG] Emacs

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed May 15 23:09:26 UTC 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> I've never built emacs on Linux--only on HP-UX and Solaris.  It's just
> too easy (on Debian) to type in "apt-get install emacs21".  It's
> pretty straightforward, IIRC, but using your system's package manager
> is likely to make it less painful.

My system doesn't have a package manager.  I've never built one.

> Legal:  Gotta love the GPL!  For most purposes, you can just start
> using emacs, so you don't have to worry about running afoul of the
> license.

Well, there's no EULA at all.  The GPL is a distribution license.

However, Stallman is absolutely right in that the distribution license of
XEmacs is VERY difficult to enforce, since there are numerous copyright
holders and many undocumented authors.  Hence, a person can use XEmacs
code in violation of the GPL (i.e. through redistribution of modified code
or simple code theft in a distribution not bound by the GPL) and it would
be almost impossible to redress that particular violation.

If we are weak, we will be toppled.

> Social:  I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this term :-).  But
> seriously, most people cannot tell that I use emacs (although this
> will change as I subject more people to HTML files (written manually
> with emacs' excellent HTML mode) and PDF (generated from my latex
> files)).

I can't tell if you're trying to be glib or flip or what.  By social, I,
of course, mean the social implications of the Free Software movement and
the spirit of cooperation and mutual aid that it fosters.

> Political:  I have found that many developers prefer working with
> IDEs. Unfortunately, these tools impose their own proprietary
> organizational stuff which make it potentially messy (and sometimes
> impossible) to work outside that tool.  I have not found a compelling
> argument against "Well, (xxx IDE) has a built-in debugger".  Also, I
> have yet to meet a manager who was impressed that I know emacs.

Well, again, I was refering to the politics of Free Software, but your
point is well-taken on its own merits.

> As for actually learning how to use emacs, I started out with a hard
> copy of the FSF's manual, and now I go googling or ask my emacs-using
> friends whenever I have a question.

Yeah, I'd like to buy that book, but I don't have any money right now.

> Generally, I have been using emacs for 3.5 years (since 19.x), and
> have grown to love it.  I use it for writing documents (when I can get
> away with it) and writing code.  I don't wish to start a religious
> war, but I would say that very few applications are as powerful and
> extensible as this one.

Right.  I definitely understand the advantages and am sold on the idea of
at least giving it a shot.

I'm really looking for any information folks might have about building
Emacs from source and hearing any particular arguments against GNU Emacs
that might be compelling for their technical merit.

Thanks again.  Your note is helpful.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin