[PLUG] Lilo Warning: Int 0x13 function

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Thu May 16 00:08:47 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 15:42, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> Hello Linux folkz,
>
> I'm scratching my head and still can't find a decent answer.
> My lilo.conf includes these entries:
> --------------------------------------
> boot    = /dev/hda
> change-rules
> reset
> read-only
> menu-scheme = Wg:kw:Wg:Wg
> lba32
> prompt
> timeout = 100
> message = /boot/message
>
>   image  = /boot/vmlinuz
>   label  = linux
>   root   = /dev/hda3
>
>   image  = /boot/memtest.bin
>   label  = memtest86
>   optional
> -------------------------------------
>
> When I execute lilo in a command prompt it gives me:
>
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
> head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x81
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
> head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x82
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
> head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x83
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different
> head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x84
> Fatal: Empty map section
>
> Could somebody tell me please what is wrong with my lilo.conf.

This looks more like a kernel-hardware problem.  What kind of harddrive
controller are you running?  What version is your kernel and who
compiled it?

I've seen similar errors while installing on an ABIT BE6 with the
onboard HotPoint controller.  Basic disk access is provided by the
controllers BIOS, so that OS's can see the drives without any drivers
loaded, but full functionality is not realized until the drivers for the
controller are loaded.

Derek