[PLUG] How big is Linux?

Peter W shark at sharky.dyndns.org
Thu May 16 08:24:47 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 16:26, Geoff Burling wrote:
> All computer-generated animation for movies & television are now done
> on Linux boxes. Titanic & Lord of the Rings have acknowledged using
> Linux technology; I expect there are more examples out there. (If any
> major movie used CGI done on Win2K or NT boxes, would you expect MS
> to have NOT blared their horn long & hard about it?)

I don't think that you can say "all" cg animation for movies is done on
Linux, but certainly a growing (and large) part of it...

The first movie to be almost 100% linux (rendering farms and artist
workstations) is "Stallion: Spirit of the Cimarron" from DreamWorks. (HP
helped get a lot of workstation software for Linux, but they couldn't
convince Adobe to port Photoshop, so some of that work was done on Macs
- still, not M$.).
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-825967.html?tag=cd_mh

If people haven't heard of "Stallion", surely they've heard of The
Muppets! ;)
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-895203.html

And this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

~Peter