[PLUG] Network monitoring tool?

Michael H.Collins mike at linuxlink.com
Thu May 16 13:21:27 UTC 2002

I like etherape.  A graphical representation of the flow of packets with
a logger to go with it.  I can see immediately where who is going from
any box on the network.

http://etherape.sourceforge.net/

On 15 May 2002 21:52:17 PDT
"Russell Evans" <revans at e-z.net> spewed into the bitstream:

~How much do you want to pry?
~
~http://www.ntop.org
~Very intrusive, as in nothing private,	logger. You can know where everyone has
~been and when.
~
~http://cebu.mozcom.com/riker/iptraf/
~IPtraf in IP Traffic Monitor mode might also work. Shows connections.
~
~http://www.tcpdump.org/
~The, I think, most likely to be install packet capture utility.
~
~http://www.ethereal.com/
~Another packet capture, one of my favorite programs to show how good
~Linux is. mostly I talking with network types.
~
~
~http://www.snort.org/
~snort in logger mode. Less likely to fill you disk.
~
~http://netfilter.samba.org/
~I can log all traffic via iptables on my gateway. In SuSEFirewall2 this
~is very easy to set up. Maybe whatever you are using has the same
~capabilities via its configuration file.
~
~There are other packet loggers. These are only the ones I have
~personally used.
~
~Thank you
~Russell