[PLUG] Lilo Warning: Int 0x13 function

D. Cooper Stevenson cooper at linux-enterprise.net
Thu May 16 15:41:01 UTC 2002

Alex;

Yesterday I wrote that putting LILO to a floppy would be a good idea. I
thought about it more since then.

That isn't going to work.

Today I worked on it a little more. I found this:

    This is a warning about possible trouble.  Your BIOS is returning
    inconsistent
    information about the disk geometry:  Cylinders:Heads:Sectors for
    drive 0x80.

    If you are using "lba32" addressing (default in LILO version 22),
    you have
    nothing to worry about.  The fact that int 0x13, function 0x48 is
    supported
    means that your BIOS supports the extended disk calls required to
    support
    direct 32-bit addressing of sectors.  Hence, the boot loader never
    has to
    worry about translating disk addresses to C:H:S, with the
    consequential 1024
    cylinder limit.

    This disk likely will not boot if you use "geometric" or "linear"
    addressing.
    If you system boots okay, leave things alone, and live with the
    Warning.

-Cooper