[PLUG] important directories to backup

Terry Griffin griffint at aracnet.com
Thu May 16 15:53:16 UTC 2002

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for the key directories to backup on a system.  I have the
> following that I backed up.
>
> Are there any that I MUST HAVE as an all important back?
> Or others that maybe I should.
>
> Mostly just for system backup.  Not many users actually keep things on the
> machine.
>
> /etc           Can't go anywhere w/o this.
> /var/log       Just b/c I wanted the logs
> /home/*        Some here. not all.
> /root          I store some things here (rpms and such)
> /boot          figured good to have
>

> If I missed anything please let me know.  I think I'll be upgrading my
> server this weekend and would like to know I had my ducks lined up before
> I knock them all down.

/usr/local/etc		or maybe just all of /usr/local
/usr/share/ssl/certs	if you're running any secure services
/var/named		if you're running dns
/var/spool/cron		user crontabs
/var/spool/mail		user mail boxes
/var/ftp/pub		anonymous ftp files, if any
/var/www		your web pages, if any

Depending on your distro or version, your directory layout may be
different. The above list is based on RH 7.0.

Terry
--
Terry Griffin <griffint at pobox.com>
http://www.blindchicken.com/~terryg/