[PLUG] Any experience installing Oracle 8.1.7?

Steve Jorgensen jorgens at coho.net
Fri May 17 04:34:36 UTC 2002

I'm currently trying to follow the Byzantine instructions for installing
Oracle 8i on Linux.  I'm using SuSE 7.3 which is supposedly pretty well
prepped for Oracle install, and the users, groups, directories,
permissions, and environment variables are prepared.

So, I tried to run .runInstaller from the root of the CD, and got...

Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
.../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin
/jre. Please wait...
SIGSEGV received at bfffd988 in
/media/cdrom/stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/
linux/lib/linux/native_threads/libjava.so. Processing terminated.

This is followed by volumes of data that means nothing to me, but seems to
be Java state info to help with debugging.

Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it?

Thanks,

--
Steve Jorgensen
Database application developer - available