[PLUG] Boot options

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 05:22:06 UTC 2002

I have a computer with both Linux and Windows
installed, using GRUB as the boot loader. Now I'd like
to install Red Hat along with the others. I would
prefer to use the GRUB boot loader now installed to
boot any of the three, adding the Red Hat installation
to the present boot menu.

Red Hat allows one to install a boot loader or not. If
it is installed, it can go into the MBR or the first
sector of the root partition. I know that it shouldn't
be installed into the MBR, but should it be installed
on the first sector of the root partition instead of
not at all? I think so, but is this a correct belief?
(I always have a boot disk handy, in case I am
mistaken about such things.)

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."