[PLUG] Boot options

Peter W shark at sharky.dyndns.org
Fri May 17 09:23:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 22:22, Robert Kopp wrote:
> I have a computer with both Linux and Windows
> installed, using GRUB as the boot loader. Now I'd like
> to install Red Hat along with the others. I would
> prefer to use the GRUB boot loader now installed to
> boot any of the three, adding the Red Hat installation
> to the present boot menu.
>
> Red Hat allows one to install a boot loader or not. If
> it is installed, it can go into the MBR or the first
> sector of the root partition. I know that it shouldn't
> be installed into the MBR, but should it be installed
> on the first sector of the root partition instead of
> not at all?

I don't think you should need a boot loader.  However, you will probably
have to boot into the your current version of Linux installed and edit
your /etc/grub.conf (unless the RedHat install lets you tweak the
existing /etc/grub.conf) to add the new RedHat option.

Actually, in the past i've installed the RedHat grub boot loader in the
MBR and had the options "Redhat", "Win2k" and "Debian", and the debian
listing would point to a certain partition (where Debian was installed)
which would then have lilo on it, so that I could choose between kernel
versions in Debian.

Sorry I'm not more familiar w/ Grub... hope this helps... ;)

~Peter