[PLUG] Any experience installing Oracle 8.1.7?

Andrew Puch aapuch at attbi.com
Fri May 17 16:47:47 UTC 2002

> So, I tried to run .runInstaller from the root of the CD, and got...
>
> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
> .../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin
> /jre. Please wait...
> SIGSEGV received at bfffd988 in
> /media/cdrom/stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/
> linux/lib/linux/native_threads/libjava.so. Processing terminated.
>
> This is followed by volumes of data that means nothing to me, but seems to
> be Java state info to help with debugging.
>
> Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it?

You are feeling the pain of oracle, I have been playing with oracle
since 7*, 8.0.5 ,9I today.

You should never try to make oracle think it is on a platform that it
not designed for.

Why is there this much pain ??

Well oracle on linux 8.0.5 - 9i makes undocumented libc calls, the
undocumented libc calls can change when the libc guys want to try some
thing new.

You want the pain to do oracle tricks, on your new distro.

ASK YOUR SELF WHY ???

ARE YOU GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT ??

THIS IS NOT PRODUCTION , RIGHT ??

Plan A.
	You need to do the chroot /mnt/oldsystem.
	Have a fullly installed old setup.
        Aka a new / .

        When I need to build/debug C oracle front end I end up doing
	chroot.

Plan B.
	Or seting up vmware.