[PLUG] JBuilder 6

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri May 17 16:43:36 UTC 2002

Not only support, but it's probably only been tested on that distribution
as well.

While we like to think that all Linux distributions will run anything
compiled for "Linux", that's not always the case, what with many variations
of libraries, CPUs, etc.

Each distribution requires a testing effort to ensure proper functionality
and graceful exiting on errors. In other words, each distribution *SHOULD*
have the same suite of tests run on it as OSes as different as Redhat 7.2
and Solaris 7.0. Otherwise, the vendor may be opening themselves up to
major cost overruns in support and services.

This can be argued away with open source arguments, but I'm not interested
in that. Many businesses (evil and not) choose to NOT release their
software source code, as is their right. You have the right to use the
software or not.

At 10:30 AM 5/17/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>When a vendor says that their product works on
>certain distributions, it usually means that they are only willing to
>support their product on those distributions--if you use another, you
>may or may not have any problems, but you're your own.

Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net

Hi, I'm a signature virus. Please set me as your signature and help me spread