[PLUG] Database layout vs. performance Addendum

Alex Daniloff alex at daniloff.com
Sat May 18 00:01:12 UTC 2002

Brian,

MySQL costs nothing ether you use it for yourself or bind it to
commercial products. It's Open Source and all GPLed.

> Sybase Licensing is a tricky thing....If this is going to be a
commercially
> distributed project, perhaps MySQL would be a bit better (at least
less
> costly)  MySQL's licensing (from what I understand) is a bit less in

> price/headache/etc...
>

> Like by an external entity (Perl) the query plans would be
> freshened whenever an 'update statistics' is run or if a table is
modified,
> by dropping and re-creating the proc.  This is, of course unless you
are
> using Perl to tie directly into the DB engine....which would be
phun....

Perl as a part of database engine. This is exactly what we're using
Perl for. It provides better flexibility and functionality compare to
heavily featured commercial SQL DBs with its own proprietary
programming languages.