[PLUG] Database layout vs. performance

Andrew Puch aapuch at attbi.com
Sun May 19 06:29:54 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 22:15, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Friday 17 May 2002 07:46 pm, you wrote:
> > MySQL, is not the greatest database.
>
> Nether database is greatest on earth.
> Each one of them has sertain advantages and draw backs.
nod,

> > It does not pass Mr Dodd ACID Test.
>
> MySQL IS ACID compliant if you're using InnoDB tables

Hmm,

http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/InnoDB_overview.html
http://www.innodb.com/suplicense.html

So you, if you ship a product you pay innodb ??

MySQL VS Postgres by the TOR dude.
http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/09/jepson/

> > Look into postgres, in some cases it was faster then MySql.
>
> It's just marketing speculations.

no the postgres team has made alot of speed improvements.

> > MySQL has the habbit of not gracefully failing.
> It depends on the API code quality you're writing for your DB.
> With fluffy coding any database will fail miserably.
>

> > here read these links.
> >
> > http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3
>

> This material is severely outdated and can't be trustfull anymore.
>
> > > My major question is which method is better for best performance and
> > > what FS (EXT2, EXT3, ReiserFS, JFS) is better to use for this task.
> >
> > EXT3 or XFS.
>

> Why not ReiserFS? What are disadvantages?

The guys I know at redhat, swore at reiser, this was 6 months or so.

I will ask around what are the issues.

The jist I got was there were data integrity issues with Reiser.