[PLUG] Database layout vs. performance

Andrew Puch aapuch at attbi.com
Sun May 19 07:45:09 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 22:15, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> > Look into postgres, in some cases it was faster then MySql.
No, I talked to people who had to switch databases, due to MySQL
shortcomings.

What I think it boils down to is MySQL rocks to snarf web logs, where
each item new entry into table. And mostly Reads. Where MySQL is MS
Access light. 80/20 rule, Where MySQL team only made fast what occurs
80% of the time, threw out the rest.

WOW  UNION is implemented in MySQL 4.0.0.
Wait , dev tree is only on 4.0.1.

Postgres Rocks where you have many people playing with the same dataset
issuing updates. Think of postgres as oracleGPL for the people.

> It's just marketing speculations.
>
> > MySQL has the habbit of not gracefully failing.
>
> It depends on the API code quality you're writing for your DB.

> With fluffy coding any database will fail miserably.
>

> > here read these links.
> >
> > http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3
>

> This material is severely outdated and can't be trustfull anymore.
>
> > > My major question is which method is better for best performance and
> > > what FS (EXT2, EXT3, ReiserFS, JFS) is better to use for this task.
> >
> > EXT3 or XFS.
>

> Why not ReiserFS? What are disadvantages?

ReiserFS if memory severed rocked at itty bity files.

Have you looked at the # of patches that come out for ReiserFS ??
http://www.namesys.com/download.html

These types of messages do not give me warm fuzzy, when it comes to my
data.
CAUTION
WARNING
1. Don't use linux kernel 2.4.16 or earlier for reiserfs operations, as
many of those releases contain critical bugs, some of the most serious
of which are not in reiserfs but affect reiserfs. 2.4.16, 2.4.9, and
2.4.3 are especially bad. The SuSE release of 2.4.16 is ok, it contains
some needed patches. 2.4.18 is the latest release at the time of
writing, and it said to be solid and reliable.
2. For linux kernel 2.5.6 or 2.5.7 you need an additional patch that
will allow the use of reiserfs: 01-revert_broken_alviro_cleanup.diff

Here are some bonie runs :)
http://oss.software.ibm.com/pipermail/jfs-discussion/2001-October/000687.html

http://www.nobell.org/~gjm/linux/ide-raid/

I think that this is what you want,

your best bet is to setup a testenv , and play around with things :)
http://www.quest.com/benchmark_factory/

I would set up some win 98 boxes to pound on your linux box.
And a NT/w2k/xp box to run the benchmark.

Mysql, Postgres have MS ODBC drivers.

You might want to setup some boxes, to pound your database.

Your co-worker boxes, yes use the extra cycles.

drew :)