[PLUG] Considering adding 802.11 to my LAN

Richard Langis richard.langis at sun.com
Mon May 20 15:49:02 UTC 2002

Probably the easiest way to do this would be to get a standalone AP (Access
Point) and a PCMCIA card for your laptop.  Linksys seems to make a good
product, I believe they support 128-bit encryption (although WEP isn't exactly
'good' encryption).  I'm using a Dell-branded Orinoco/Lucent RG-1000 and
Silver 802.11b PCMCIA card in a Inspiron 8100.  I've also got a Linksys PCI
card in my workstation upstairs.

Another option might be to purchase a PCI card (or PCI/PCMCIA Adapter card and
a PCMCIA Card) that you can install into your Linux box to act as an AP.  The
PersonalTelco website has lots of information on this.
(http://www.personaltelco.net)

Although, you'll probably be just fine grabbing something off-the-shelf from
whatever Big Electronics Store (tm) that complies with the 802.11b standard.
I'd personally stay with brands you know, but others may know of better
solutions for more reasonable prices.

Hope that helps,

-Richard