[PLUG] SB Audigy Experiences ?

Miller, Jeremy JMILLER at ci.albany.or.us
Tue May 21 19:39:53 UTC 2002

Don't have an audigy, but I do have an SBLive Platinum.  Works fine (of
course) but I REALLY wish I'd done more research before I bought it, because
there are a ton of cards that would have been better for what I need.

What do you intend to use the card for?  Playing music?  Games?  Do you plan
on using it for any recording or midi work?

The SB Live and Audigy are great for playing music, games, sampling, and
midi.  But not as great for recording.  (Even the Audigy is limited to
recording at 48khz 16bit. Don't be misled by the 24/96 playback specs. :)
I'm currently debating whether to get a Midiman Delta series or bite the
bullet for an RME Multiface.  (Overkill for most, but would have been a
better use of my money in the long run.)

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that if you just need a standard card for
regular things, the SB cards are great.  Get one.  In particular the OEM
version is the best deal.

But... if you intend on doing any recording and are thinking about shelling
out bigger bucks for the Platinum, DON'T.  Look around first, because you'll
get more for your money with something else, like a Midiman or even an
ST-Audio product.  (Most of them have good linux drivers, at least in ALSA.
There are others, too.)

Here's a review I just found, that says it better than I can.

http://music.multimedian.com/reviews/audigy.html)

Jeremy