[PLUG] Redhat 7.3 and SCSI AIC7XX

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed May 22 17:03:53 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 09:24, Russ Johnson wrote:
> I have a Penguin Computing system with an AIC 796 SCSI BIOS v2.20S1B1
> Adaptec AIC7XX EISA/VLB/ card.
>
> Redhat 7.3 installs fine, but doesn't run after install. I get the
> following error:
>
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi _hostadapter, errno =2
>
> I see the module I think is the driver for the card loaded. Is this a
> problem where I need the scsi module built into the kernel (i.e. not as a
> module)?
>
> If that's the case, how would I go about doing that, when the system won't
> boot after install?

You know, I saw this error message on a 7.3-installed kernel myself, but
it boots just fine.  I haven't been following the valhalla-list enough
to know if this is common or not.  Few if any modules actually need to
be built into the kernel to work, so I doubt it.  If you see that it
loads and initializes the SCSI controller, then that's likely not your
problem.  Is that the last kernel message you see?

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley at nakedape.cc
              * Linux and Network Consulting *
irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

H. L. Mencken suffers from the hallucination that he is H. L. Mencken --
there is no cure for a disease of that magnitude.
		-- Maxwell Bodenheim