[PLUG] Postfix allows spam in but blocks report

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 22 18:43:39 UTC 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:

> Does the system "salmo" have a public DNS entry? It may be that Qwest
> considers the message to be from an unknown host or domain and rejects it
> as spam. I remember going through something similar with rejected emails
> with sendmail long ago.

Tony,

  Yes, it does. The primary MX points here and the A record points to our
static IP address.

> At the time my system's sendmail process couldn't send anything directly
> to some other domain since my local system, which was on a dialup PPP
> connection, didn't have any sort of public hostname and domain
> available via DNS. In the end I had to setup my sendmail configuration
> so my local sendmail process would relay through my ISP's mail server.
> This fixed my problem since my ISP's mail server recognized my system
> and my ISP's mail server was publicly recognized.

  Long ago, I inadvertently was sending outbound mail through our ISP. When
I learned of this I fixed it so sendmail went directly out. Now, postfix
does, too. I've not yet set up our own DNS server, but that's on my list of
things to do.

  It's got something to do with the sequence of spam checks in main.cf. When
I comment out header_ and body_checks, the mail goes out. When I don't
comment them out, it bounces. Ergo, it should be fixable. But, I don't know
how to fix it.

Thanks,