[PLUG] NTFS and Linux

Andrew Puch aapuch at attbi.com
Thu May 23 23:44:17 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 15:04, CopyRoom wrote:
> Hi there, I am sort of a newbie to Linux and new to this list.

welcome:)

>  One of the topics I have been researching is enabling NTFS support on my RedHat 7.3 install (dual boot w/ XP).  Most of the info I have found says this should already be compiled in my kernel, but I can't seem to use it.  I also read that the driver has corrupted data before, has anyone has this happen?

Well the last that I checked, NTFS was read only. in the stock linux
kernel tree.

You need to build your own, and enable the experimental support for read
/write NTFS.

There was talk of killing off the driver due to lack of developer
interested.

I used to use it, but I went back to vfat for my windows stuff, due to
that driver not building in the experimental kernels.

vfat is nasty, but it is also the least common detonator, so it is
guaranty to always work.

> I did go ahead and set up a FAT partition on my drive to exchange MP3's etc between the 2, but I am still curious about getting NTFS to work,
>
> On the flipside, has anyone used the ext2fsnt driver with windows?

> I was wondering if this will work with ext3 fs as well.
I do not think so, but steve tweedy is a smart man.

Do you like to play Russian Rulette with your file system ?